Map of the City of Memphis and suburbs (1871)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Cadastral map of Memphis on the eve of the city's near-death crisis from successive yellow fever epidemics during the 1870s, showing the street grid and many of the outlying landowners. Roads, railroads, rivers, parks, cemeteries, and nurseries are included. Circles radiate from city hall indicating distance. In lower left: "Hosford & Sons Litho 56 Cedar St. N.Y."
John Rice was granted 5,000 acres along the Mississippi River on the Fourth Chickasaw Bluff in 1789 by the state of North Carolina. John Overton purchased it from Rice's brother Elisha Rice in 1794 for £1,000. Overton sold half of the tract to Andrew Jackson, who sold a portion of his claim to James Winchester for $5,000. The land along the river was set aside as public land to lay out the city of Memphis.
- Nieberding, H
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Memphis (Tenn.)--Maps
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Nieberding, H. Map of the City of Memphis and suburbs (1871). 1871. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9216. (Accessed October 24, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Nieberding, H, (1871) Map of the City of Memphis and suburbs (1871). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9216
- MLA citation style
- Nieberding, H. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9216>.