Judge Beverly Briley receiving a polio vaccine at Vanderbilt Hospital, circa 1959 October 29
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- ca. 1959-10-29
A photograph of Davidson County Judge Beverly Briley receiving the polio vaccine at one of the special anti-polio vaccine clinics at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee. He is seen grinning as the nurse, Mrs. Mary Scott, prepares to inject a dose of the vaccine into his upper arm. The clinic's poster cites the one dollar fee for "all ages," at a time when modern mass inoculations were being developed to combat poliomyelitis. Beverly Briley, first mayor of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County (1963-75), was born in Nashville in 1914. Originally from the Nashville Banner newspaper, this photograph was published in the October 29, 1959 issue. Forms part of the Jack Knox Artist Reference Files. 1 photograph : b & w ; 8 x 10 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Briley, Beverly, 1914-1980
Vanderbilt University. Hospital
Colleges and Universities
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Judge Beverly Briley receiving a polio vaccine at Vanderbilt Hospital, circa 1959 October 29. ca. 1959-10-29. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2284. (Accessed November 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (ca. 1959-10-29) Judge Beverly Briley receiving a polio vaccine at Vanderbilt Hospital, circa 1959 October 29. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2284
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2284>.