Tennessee (detail) showing Cherokee treaty cessions
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Map of Cherokee land cessions in southeastern Tennessee, overlaid on a contemporary map of the area, published in the 18th Annual Report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. In addition to the 1890s towns, historical features such as forts (Southwest Point, Fort Loudoun, Tellico Block House), public houses, white settlements, and Native American villages, as well as trails (Great Indian War Path) and historical roads (Unaka Turnpike) are shown.
The area shaded yellow and numbered 57 was ceded by the Cherokee on October 25, 1805, known as one of the Treaties of Tellico. The area shaded blue in East Tennessee and includes Knoxville, was ceded by the Cherokee on July 2, 1791, known as the Treaty of Holston and negotiated by William Blount. The green area numbered 103 was ceded by the Cherokee on February 27, 1819, known as the Calhoun Treaty. The area shaded blue and numbered 203 was ceded by the Cherokee oon December 29, 1835, known as the Treaty of New Echota.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Tennessee (detail) showing Cherokee treaty cessions. 1897. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9054. (Accessed October 22, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1897) Tennessee (detail) showing Cherokee treaty cessions. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9054
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9054>.