The Parthenon, First American National Bank building, Nashville, circa 1950
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard showing drawings of the Parthenon and the First American National Bank Building. The Parthenon, located in Centennial Park, is a reproduction of the Greek Athenian Temple. This full scale replica was originally constructed out of wood, plaster and brick as a temporary exhibit for the Tennessee Centennial Exposition in 1897. A permanent version of Parthenon was constructed out of concrete in 1921-1931 to replace the one built for the exposition. The Nashville Parthenon underwent major renovations in 1991-2001. It now serves as a museum and art gallery and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The First American National Bank Building, located at 326 Union Street, was built in 1926, with the largest concrete beams ever used in Nashville to support the floors above. The building was razed in 1973. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Parthenon (Art museum : Nashville, Tenn.)
First American National Bank (Nashville, Tenn.)
Sports & Recreation
Banks and banking--Tennessee--Nashville
Social & civic facilities--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Union Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Centennial Park (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- The Parthenon, First American National Bank building, Nashville, circa 1950. 1950~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/671. (Accessed October 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1950~) The Parthenon, First American National Bank building, Nashville, circa 1950. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/671
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/671>.