Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nashville, Tenn. (1897, rev. 1911)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Plate 191 and 192 of the Sanborn Fire Insurance atlas of Nashville revised in 1911. Plate 191 shows the area between Grace Street and Arrington Street bound by Fourth and Meridian. It contains an Episcopal and Cumberland Presbyterian church, but mainly single family frame dwellings. Plate 192 depicts Vanderbilt University in 1911 including University Hall, Science Hall, Furman Hall, Wesley Hall, an observatory, gymnasium, dormitories, tennis grounds, athletic fields and a reservoir. Roger Williams University was on the original 1897 plate, but since it burned down in 1905 and moved across town, it was covered over. M. M. Ross Public School is also shown. The false color image depicts Roger Williams University in 1897, including two cisterns, an out building, and a well.
Daniel Alfred Sanborn, a civil engineer and surveyor, began working on fire insurance maps in the 1860s and his company soon became one of the largest and most successful American map companies. Sanborn's first work mapping cities for insurance purposes began in Tennessee when Aetna Insurance hired him to survey a few towns across the state, however none of these earliest examples are known to exist today (Ristow, Walter W. "United States Fire Insurance and Underwriters Maps· 1852—1968." The Quarterly Journal of the Library of Congress 25, no. 3 (1968): 194-218." Sanborn maps were originally created to estimate fire insurance risks. Insurance companies would decide how much insurance, if any, was to be offered to a customer solely through the use of a Sanborn map. Today, the maps are frequently used for historical research and for preservation and restoration purposes.
- Sanborn Map Company
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Fire insurance maps
Sanborn Map Company
Fire risk assessment--Tennessee--Maps
Universities & colleges--Tennessee
Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Presbytery of Nashville
Universities & colleges
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Sanborn Map Company. Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nashville, Tenn. (1897, rev. 1911). 1911. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9452. (Accessed October 22, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Sanborn Map Company, (1911) Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nashville, Tenn. (1897, rev. 1911). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9452
- MLA citation style
- Sanborn Map Company. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9452>.