Sparkman Street Bridge, between 1909 and 1915
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- Between 1909 and 1915
A postcard of the Sparkman Street Bridge, later renamed Shelby Street Bridge, looking down river. The Nashville Bridge Company's office is visible on the right bank of the Cumberland River and railroad tracks are seen in the foreground. A Louisville and Nashville Railroad bridge is noticeable in the distance. The Sparkman Street Bridge was completed in 1909, spanning the Cumberland River to link East Nashville to Downtown. At completion, the bridge was hailed as the "finest highway bridge south of the Ohio River." Construction of the bridge was considered innovative. Concrete trusses created a new underneath support system in order to take the bridge across the railroad tracks on the river's west bank. In 1986, the bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2003, the bridge reopened after five years as a pedestrian walkway. Forms part of the Norton Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Nashville Bridge Company
Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Cumberland River (Ky. and Tenn.)--Navigation
Sparkman Street Bridge (Nashville, Tenn.)
Shelby Street Bridge (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Sparkman Street Bridge, between 1909 and 1915. Between 1909 and 1915. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1768. (Accessed October 18, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (Between 1909 and 1915) Sparkman Street Bridge, between 1909 and 1915. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1768
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1768>.