Appleton's railway map of the United States and the Canadas
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- approximately 1864
This map illustrates the Civil War-era railroad routes of the United States and Canada that were operating or being built around 1864. Lines are named, and major stops along each railway line are shown. An inset in the lower right corner features the area covered by the Pacific Railroad and the Gold Regions.
Compiled by G.F. Thomas. Thomas served as editor of "Appletons' Illustrated Railway Guide." This map conveys the full impact of the surge of railroad building that took hold in the 1850s across the nation. Tentative forays in the 1820s and 1830s would give way to great railway systems that would improve transportation, aid the growth of the national economy, and play a key role in the Civil War.
- Thomas, G. F
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Railroads--United States--History--19th century
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Transportation
Pacific Coast Railroad Company
Cities & towns
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Thomas, G. F. Appleton's railway map of the United States and the Canadas. approximately 1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/49. (Accessed January 25, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Thomas, G. F, (approximately 1864) Appleton's railway map of the United States and the Canadas. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/49
- MLA citation style
- Thomas, G. F. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/49>.