McKendrie, or First Methodist Church, circa 1859
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A page from a mounted and bound volume of twenty-five pen-and-ink wash drawings, and two pen-and-ink maps of Nashville created by William A. Eichbaum during the 1850s. Eichbaum was a Nashville bookseller and resident for fifty years. The drawing on this page is of the first McKendree Methodist Church building. Eichbaum's sketch is labeled with a misspelling of the church's name ('McKendrie'). This church was dedicated to Bishop McKendree upon completion in 1833. This church served as the backdrop for many historic events during its time, from gubernatorial inaugurations, to presidential funeral processions. In 1863 the church was taken over by the Federal Army, which had occupied Nashville, and was used as a hospital. In 1876 the congregation had outgrown their church, and a new, larger edifice of Gothic architecture was erected on the same site. Three years later that church was destroyed by fire. Forms part of the William A. Eichbaum Sketchbook. 1 drawing : col. ; 5.75 x 9 in.
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
McKendree Methodist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Methodist church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Protestant church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Church Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imageDrawingsSketchbooks
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. McKendrie, or First Methodist Church, circa 1859. 1859~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/289. (Accessed February 21, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873, (1859~) McKendrie, or First Methodist Church, circa 1859. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/289
- MLA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/289>.