Map of the state of Tennessee
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This rare map of Tennessee was drawn, published, and hand colored by Fielding Lucas in 1823. It includes the recently acquired Chickasaw Purchase in West Tennessee and Hiwassee District in East Tennessee. A population table is in the top right. An engraving by Lewis Brantz of the 4th Chickasaw Bluff appears in the bottom right. Varnish has discolored the map over time.
Fielding Lucas Jr. was a Baltimore cartographer and publisher prominent in the first half of the 19th century. This map may be the only existing copy that was hand-colored.
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854. Map of the state of Tennessee. 1823. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10046. (Accessed November 11, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854, (1823) Map of the state of Tennessee. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10046
- MLA citation style
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10046>.