Sectional map of Hamilton County, Tennessee (1881)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Map of a portion of Hamilton County, including downtown Chattanooga, along the Tennessee River that shows the township and range grid as well as early Chattanooga landowners, sometime around the year 1840. The uniform size of the tracts suggest they may have been purchase grants based on the Ocoee District constituted after the 1836 Cherokee Removal. Gaps, rivers, creeks, and islands are among the geological features denoted. Julius C. Kloenne, a Prussian-born civil engineer and Civil War veteran, possibly once the city engineer of Chattanooga, affixed his seal on the map.
Hamilton County was established in 1819 from part of Rhea County, and originally part of the Ocoee District. It is named for founding father Alexander Hamilton. Its county seat and largest city is Chattanooga, which comes from Cherokee describing a creek in the area. John Ross, a half-Cherokee, half-white man set up a ferry on the Tennessee River called Ross's Landing or Ross's Ferry in 1816, and the city grew around it, changing its name to Chattanooga in 1839.
- Deakin, M. E
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Landowners--Tennessee--Hamilton County--Maps
Real property--Tennessee--Hamilton County--Maps
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Deakin, M. E. Sectional map of Hamilton County, Tennessee (1881). 1881. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8850. (Accessed October 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Deakin, M. E, (1881) Sectional map of Hamilton County, Tennessee (1881). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8850
- MLA citation style
- Deakin, M. E. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8850>.