Nashville. Plate 9 from G. M. Hopkins' Atlas of Nashville (1889)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Plate 9 of the 1889 Atlas of Nashville detailing the area near Vanderbilt University. The school's campus is shown including Wesley Hall, Science Hall, the chancellor's residence, the president's house, various dormitories, and the gymnasium. The large estate of Samuel M. Murphy, whom the Davidson County trustee listed as the second wealthiest Nashvillian in 1897, is seen just north of Vanderbilt. The old State Fairgrounds, now called West Side Park and later Centennial Park after Nashville's Centennial Exposition was held there in 1897, is included. Various other tracts and additions to the city are drawn.
Griffith Morgan Hopkins was born around 1836, however the exact date is unknown. He first began printing maps in 1857 and continued until his retirement in 1900. He founded G. M. Hopkins & Co. with his brother Henry W. Hopkins, and together they produced many city and county atlases, primarily of the northeast, from their shop in Philadelphia. Their 1908 Atlas of Nashville is a fine, block-by-block depiction of the town in a period of growth to a modern urban center. G. M. Hopkins & Co. continued on after the founders' retirements until the Great Depression ended the demand for their atlases. The company was sold to the Franklin Survey Company in 1943, with the name intact, due to its association with quality.
- G.M. Hopkins & Co
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Nashville (Tenn.)--Maps
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--Maps
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- G.M. Hopkins & Co. Nashville. Plate 9 from G. M. Hopkins' Atlas of Nashville (1889). 1889. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9920. (Accessed November 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- G.M. Hopkins & Co, (1889) Nashville. Plate 9 from G. M. Hopkins' Atlas of Nashville (1889). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9920
- MLA citation style
- G.M. Hopkins & Co. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9920>.