Davidson County Court House and Public Square showing wagon market, Nashville, Tenn., 1909
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of the Davidson County Court House and Public Square showing the wagon market. Also referred to as Court House Square, this area was located right in the center of the city. The square with the county courthouse, city hall and market center was a focus of wholesale commerce and political activity for the city for many years. On market days the square was especially busy. The crowded market area on this card shows a large group of vendor wagons and townspeople. The courthouse was demolished in 1935, and in 1937 the present Metropolitan Court House was completed to replace it. Most of the remaining buildings making up the square were destroyed in the 1970s as part of urban renewal projects. Forms part of the Norton Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- E. C. Kropp (Publisher)
- Davidson County Court House (Nashville, Tenn.)
Downtown Nashville, Business
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Carriages and carts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Public Square (Nashville, Tenn.)--History
Court House Square (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Davidson County Court House and Public Square showing wagon market, Nashville, Tenn., 1909. 1909. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1643. (Accessed November 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1909) Davidson County Court House and Public Square showing wagon market, Nashville, Tenn., 1909. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1643
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1643>.