Map of Grundy, Sequatchie and Bledsoe counties for use of county health departments
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Early 20th century map showing Grundy, Sequatchie and Bledsoe counties, likely used by county health departments in their service to schools. Map names white and "colored" schools, streams, communities and towns and shows civil districts, roads and portions of the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway. There is drawing in red pencil on the original map denoting elementary schools with triangles, and elementary and high schools with a triangle enclosed with a rectangle. A triangle with a marking in one corner indicates it is the exact location of said school.
Sequatchie County was formed in 1857 from a parts of Bledsoe, Hamilton, and Marion counties. It is named for the Sequatchie Valley, which is named for a Cherokee chief, Sequachee, which possibly translates to either "opossum" or "he grins or runs." Its county seat and largest city is Dunlap, named for Tennessee congressman William Dunlap, who helped orchestrate the county's formation.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway
Grundy County (Tenn.)--Maps
Sequatchie County (Tenn.)--Maps
Bledsoe County (Tenn.)--Maps
Cities & towns
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Map of Grundy, Sequatchie and Bledsoe counties for use of county health departments. undated. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/474. (Accessed October 21, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (undated) Map of Grundy, Sequatchie and Bledsoe counties for use of county health departments. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/474
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/474>.