A copy of a plan of Charleston
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Town plan of Charleston, Tennessee, along the Hiwassee River. Town lots are drawn and numbered. H. Witton's lots are indicated as are Lewis Ross's house and store. The railway, bridge, and depot lot for the Hiwassee Railroad are drawn. The base line indicated the primary survey line of the Hiwassee District. Accompanying table title: A table showing the dimensions & area contd. in each lot. Lists street names and widths.
Charleston was the site of the final Cherokee Agency. After the Treaty of New Echota, Fort Cass was constructed as the emigration depot to concentrate Cherokees for removal west of the Mississippi. Most of the Cherokee Removal features are just east of the map. Charles Sinnickson was born in Salem, New Jersey, in 1816 to Thomas and Elizabeth Sinnickson. After his early education he became surveyor and civil engineer with the Indian Agency in the Bureau of Indian Affairs. He was the official surveyor for the Cherokee Reservation in Indian Territory.
- Sinnickson, Charles
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Charleston (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Sinnickson, Charles. A copy of a plan of Charleston. 1839. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10203. (Accessed November 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Sinnickson, Charles, (1839) A copy of a plan of Charleston. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10203
- MLA citation style
- Sinnickson, Charles. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10203>.