Civil War map of the country between Franklin and Columbia
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Hand-drawn map, dated May 1863 and made under the direction of Union cartographer Capt. William Merrill, of the country between Franklin and Columbia featuring the positions of roads, railroads, and the Duck River. Very detailed map also provides the names of towns, tollgates, ferries and the owners of individual property. The map depicts the exact terrain over which Gen. Hood's Army of Tennessee moved from November 28-30, 1864 in its maneuvering against Gen. Schofield's Federal army at Spring Hill and Franklin. It was made from Capt. Dunham's Survey and information collected by cartographic engineer Thomas Sedgwick.
The map was produced under the direction of Federal mapmaker William E. Merrill, U. S. Engineers. Merrill served under William T. Sherman and provided maps of middle Tennessee and for the campaign from Chattanooga to Atlanta.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Columbia (Tenn.) Merrill, W. E. (William Emery), 1837-1891
- Franklin (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Civil War map of the country between Franklin and Columbia. 1863. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/94. (Accessed January 22, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (1863) Civil War map of the country between Franklin and Columbia. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/94
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/94>.