Belle H. Bennett Memorial - Scarritt College for Christian Workers - Nashville, Tenn., circa 1930
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of the Belle H. Bennett Memorial on the campus of Scarritt College for Christian Workers in Nashville, Tennessee. Located on Nineteenth Avenue South, Scarritt College came to Nashville from Kentucky in 1924 as a training school for women Christian missionaries. Like a teaching college prepares teachers, this Methodist Episcopal school set out to prepare religious workers. The soaring Gothic tower shown here is the Belle H. Bennett Memorial. Belle Harris Bennett co-founded the school along with Dr. Nathan Scarritt. Bennett was a vital member of the women's suffrage movement, and also instrumental in Christian education. Architectural details include pinnacled corners and cut-stone trim. The tower was constructed to thrust upwards, to inspire reverence and awe of God. Henry C. Hibbs of Nashville designed the Tower and the rest of the buildings on campus. The tower was complete in 1928. A year later, Hibbs won a gold medal for his ecclesiastical design. Today the school is used as a conference and retreat center. The school's name has changed to Scarritt-Bennett Center to reflect both of its co-founders. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Zibart Bros. (Publisher)
- Bennett, Belle Harris, 1852-1922--Memorials
Scarritt College for Christian Workers
Colleges and Universities
Universities and colleges
Nineteenth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Intellectual life
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Belle H. Bennett Memorial - Scarritt College for Christian Workers - Nashville, Tenn., circa 1930. 1930~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/820. (Accessed November 21, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1930~) Belle H. Bennett Memorial - Scarritt College for Christian Workers - Nashville, Tenn., circa 1930. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/820
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/820>.