Geological map of Tennessee
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A color-coded geological map of Tennessee showing rock formations, commercial deposits and mines, and iron-making operations across the state. Executed by James Safford, Tennessee's state geologist, it details the locations of mineral deposits, iron furnaces, forges and bloomeries, mills, coal mines, and marble quarries. Along the bottom is a geological cross section of the state with a rough elevation projection. Same as Map 366A in the TSLA Map Collection.
James M. Safford was a chemist, geologist, and professor in Tennessee. He studied chemistry at Yale, and taught geology, chemistry, and botany at the University of Nashville, Cumberland University, and Vanderbilt University. He served as State Geologist for the much of the latter half of the 19th century, and his geological survey of Tennessee in 1869 is still cited in the field today. He and J. B. Killebrew published a report on the agricultural and mineral resources of Tennessee which served as the basis for textbooks, pamphlets, essays, and bulletins for decades thereafter.
- Safford, James M. (James Merrill), 1822-1907
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Safford, James M. (James Merrill), 1822-1907. Geological map of Tennessee. 1869. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10034. (Accessed October 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Safford, James M. (James Merrill), 1822-1907, (1869) Geological map of Tennessee. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10034
- MLA citation style
- Safford, James M. (James Merrill), 1822-1907. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10034>.