Map of the state of New York and surrounding country
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Copper-plate engraved county map of New York state. The map depicts cities, towns, roads, county borders, and state borders. Geographic features include rivers, lakes, sounds, bays, the Atlantic Ocean, and mountains. Surrounding states New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire, while not hand-colored at the county level, are all drawn in similar detail.
David H. Burr was born in Bridgeport Connecticut, in 1803. After attending law school, Burr embarked on a career as a cartographer and surveyor. His 1829 Atlas of the State of New York, was only the second state atlas produced in America, following Robert Mills' 1825 Atlas of South Carolina. Burr was paid $2358.88 for his efforts and produced this magnificent atlas complete with hand-colored maps. Copies of the atlas were sent to the governor of each state to showcase New York's grandeur. The copy is one of his first editions with numerous later editions published by Burr himself, as well as J. H. Colton, who purchased Burr's printing plates in 1833. This atlas served as the source of later New York state and county maps until at least the 1870s. (Mano, Jo Margaret. Mapping the County: Burr's New York State Atlas)
- Burr, David H., 1803-1875
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Burr, David H., 1803-1875. Map of the state of New York and surrounding country. 1829. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10187. (Accessed October 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Burr, David H., 1803-1875, (1829) Map of the state of New York and surrounding country. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10187
- MLA citation style
- Burr, David H., 1803-1875. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10187>.