Map of East Tennessee and western North Carolina showing mineral deposits (1876)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The map shows primarily East Tennessee ("vicinity of Knoxville") and western North Carolina, as well as small portions of northern Georgia, southwestern Virginia, and southeastern Kentucky. It is extremely detailed as to the commercial mining industries of East Tennessee, showing mineral deposits, marble quarries, coal mines and salt works throughout the region, specifically identifying copper and iron ores in color. Iron forges and furnaces are also indicated, as well as stream names, coves, local peaks and their elevation. The map also shows railroads; completed, in construction, and proposed.
This map is an artifact of Tennessee's effort to promote the rich mineral resources available for potential manufacturers after the Civil War. At the time, northern investors were purchasing huge acreages in mineral rich areas of Appalachia. Tennessee was an early leader in iron and--to a lesser extent--steel production as well as coal mining. However, by the beginning of the 20th century, the focus of steel-making shifted southward to Birmingham, Alabama. Charles Waring & Co. was a civil engineering, drafting, and surveying firm in Knoxville, Tennessee in the latter half of the 19th century.
- Waring, Charles
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Mines and mineral resources
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Waring, Charles. Map of East Tennessee and western North Carolina showing mineral deposits (1876). 1876. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/374. (Accessed October 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Waring, Charles, (1876) Map of East Tennessee and western North Carolina showing mineral deposits (1876). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/374
- MLA citation style
- Waring, Charles. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/374>.