Washington Territory, 1884
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Color lithograph map of Washington Territory showing the boundaries of Indian reservations, military reservations, and counties. Also shows limits of railroad land grants, subdivided townships, U.S. Surveyor General's Office, U.S. Land Offices, county seats, towns, villages, rivers, and mountains. Relief shown by hachures.
After America's first settlers crossed the Bering land bridge into North America, the Pacific Northwest became their earliest home within the present boundaries of the contiguous United States. The first Europeans arrived by sea in the 18th century until the famous Lewis and Clark Expedition reached Washington in 1805. Following the Oregon boundary dispute, the US/Canada border was established as the 49th parallel. Thereafter, the Oregon Territory was created in 1848. Washington Territory was established in 1853 from the northern portion of the Oregon Territory and existed until Washington became the 42nd state in 1889. A number of American Indian tribes remain in Washington on over 3 million acres of federally administered reservations.
- United States. General Land Office
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Washington Territory--Maps
Indian reservations--Washington Territory--Maps
Indians of North America--Land tenure--Maps
United States. General Land Office
Cities & towns
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- United States. General Land Office. Washington Territory, 1884. 1884. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9921. (Accessed October 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- United States. General Land Office, (1884) Washington Territory, 1884. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9921
- MLA citation style
- United States. General Land Office. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9921>.