First Masonic Hall, circa 1859
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A page from a mounted and bound volume of twenty-five pen-and-ink wash drawings, and two pen-and-ink maps of Nashville created by William A. Eichbaum during the 1850s. Eichbaum was a Nashville bookseller and resident for fifty years. The drawing on this page is of the first Masonic Hall designed by Hugh Roland, thought to be Nashville's first architect. Located on Church Street, the building was finished in 1820 and was constructed in a Classic Revival style. The building served as the Tennessee State Capitol from 1820-1853 and as the meeting place of Christ Church Episcopal until the completion of the church building. In 1856 this first Masonic Hall burned in a fire and was replaced by a second Masonic Hall on the same site. Forms part of the William A. Eichbaum Sketchbook. 1 drawing : col. ; 5.75 x 9 in.
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Associations, institutions, etc.--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social life and customs
Church Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Societies, etc
- Still imageDrawingsSketchbooks
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. First Masonic Hall, circa 1859. 1859~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/295. (Accessed February 21, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873, (1859~) First Masonic Hall, circa 1859. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/295
- MLA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/295>.