The Old Christian Church, circa 1859
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A page from a mounted and bound volume of twenty-five pen-and-ink wash drawings, and two pen-and-ink maps of Nashville created by William A. Eichbaum during the 1850s. Eichbaum was a Nashville bookseller and resident for fifty years. The drawing on this page is of the first Christian Church of Nashville (now Vine Street Christian Church). The congregation was formed in 1827 when the bulk of the First Baptist Church broke away from the Concord Baptist Association to form a new church. More than half of the congregation was African American. This building was located on Spring Street (now Church Street) and was later razed to make room for the Loew's Theater. Forms part of the William A. Eichbaum Sketchbook. 1 drawing : col. ; 5.75 x 9 in.
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
Christian Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Spring Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Church Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imageDrawingsSketchbooks
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. The Old Christian Church, circa 1859. 1859~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/290. (Accessed September 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873, (1859~) The Old Christian Church, circa 1859. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/290
- MLA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/290>.