"Signature Clinches Suffrage Act"
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1920 August 26
An article from the "Nashville Tennessean" titled "Signature Clinches Suffrage Act." Picture shows Governor Roberts signing the act and Mrs. Charl Williams of Memphis, vice-chair of the Democratic Executive Committee, standing over him.
The 19th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution granted women the right to vote. When the Tennessee General Assembly passed the ratification resolution on August 18, 1920, it gave the amendment the 36th and final state necessary for ratification. Suffragists and anti-suffragists lobbied furiously to secure votes during that intense summer in Nashville. The ratification resolution passed easily in the Tennessee State Senate on August 13, but the House of Representatives was deadlocked. When young Harry T. Burn of Niota changed his vote to support ratification of the 19th Amendment, he broke a tie in the House of Representatives and made history.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Governors -- Tennessee
Roberts, Albert Houston, 1868-1946
Williams, Charl Ormond, 1885-1969
Women -- Suffrage -- Tennessee
Constitutional amendments -- United States -- Ratification
Tennessee -- Law and legislation -- 20th century
Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950
Tennessee -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Nashville (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- "Signature Clinches Suffrage Act". 1920 August 26. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll27/id/356. (Accessed August 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1920 August 26) "Signature Clinches Suffrage Act". Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll27/id/356
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll27/id/356>.