McKendree Methodist Church, 2001 January
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of McKendree Methodist Church located at 523 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee. The church was named for Bishop William McKendree, the first American Methodist bishop. This is the fourth McKendree Methodist Church building to occupy this site. The first building was completed in 1833 and hosted the funeral of James K. Polk, 11th President of the United States. In 1876, a new, larger Gothic building was erected. Three years later it burned, and a third building was erected in 1882. That building was also destroyed by fire in 1905. The present church was erected in 1910 and was dedicated in October of 1912. Many interior and exterior renovations have taken place over the years. The architecture style is Neo-classic style. The exterior walls are marble. The windows are stained glass. The roof is flat with a gable over the front entrance. Four columns stand at the way in. A well-kept green lawn has become a trademark of the church, which provides an interesting juxtaposition with its downtown, city location. In 1968 the church name changed to McKendree United Methodist Church. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- McKendree Methodist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
McKendree United Methodist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Church Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. McKendree Methodist Church, 2001 January. 2001-01. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1087. (Accessed December 8, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2001-01) McKendree Methodist Church, 2001 January. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1087
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1087>.