Nashville. Plate 15 from G. M. Hopkins' Atlas of Nashville (1889)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Plate 15 of the Hopkins Atlas of Nashville showing the area in East Nashville along the Cumberland River just north of Spring Street. W. G. Bush's Brickyard is indicated along the river. An L & N rail car terminal is drawn. A number of schools and churches are drawn including Searight School, McFerrin High School, McFerrin Methodist Episcopal, and a Presbyterian and Baptist church.
Griffith Morgan Hopkins was born around 1836, however the exact date is unknown. He first began printing maps in 1857 and continued until his retirement in 1900. He founded G. M. Hopkins & Co. with his brother Henry W. Hopkins, and together they produced many city and county atlases, primarily of the northeast, from their shop in Philadelphia. Their 1908 Atlas of Nashville is a fine, block-by-block depiction of the town in a period of growth to a modern urban center. G. M. Hopkins & Co. continued on after the founders' retirements until the Great Depression ended the demand for their atlases. The company was sold to the Franklin Survey Company in 1943, with the name intact, due to its association with quality.
- G.M. Hopkins & Co
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--Maps
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- G.M. Hopkins & Co. Nashville. Plate 15 from G. M. Hopkins' Atlas of Nashville (1889). 1889. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10042. (Accessed November 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- G.M. Hopkins & Co, (1889) Nashville. Plate 15 from G. M. Hopkins' Atlas of Nashville (1889). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10042
- MLA citation style
- G.M. Hopkins & Co. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/10042>.