Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Memphis, Tenn. (1907, rev. 1923)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a Sanborn fire insurance map showing the section of Poplar and 3rd Ave. in downtown Memphis, Tenn. [Vol. 1 Page 11 of 1907 series, rev. 1923] It includes churches, apartments and businesses. Coca Cola Bottling Company is shown in upper left corner. Details include outlines of each building, the location of windows and doors, property boundaries, firewalls, types of building materials used, heat sources, light sources and electric, locations of fire hydrants, location of water and gas mains, etc.
Daniel Alfred Sanborn, a civil engineer and surveyor, began working on fire insurance maps in the 1860s and his company soon became one of the largest and most successful American map companies. Sanborn's first work mapping cities for insurance purposes began in Tennessee when Aetna Insurance hired him to survey a few towns across the state, however none of these earliest examples are known to exist today (Ristow, Walter W. "United States Fire Insurance and Underwriters Maps· 1852—1968." The Quarterly Journal of the Library of Congress 25, no. 3 (1968): 194-218." Sanborn maps were originally created to estimate fire insurance risks. Insurance companies would decide how much insurance, if any, was to be offered to a customer solely through the use of a Sanborn map. Today, the maps are frequently used for historical research and for preservation and restoration purposes.
- Sanborn Map Company
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Fire insurance maps
Sanborn Map Company
Fire risk assessment--Tennessee--Maps
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Sanborn Map Company. Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Memphis, Tenn. (1907, rev. 1923). 1923. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/364. (Accessed October 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Sanborn Map Company, (1923) Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Memphis, Tenn. (1907, rev. 1923). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/364
- MLA citation style
- Sanborn Map Company. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/364>.