Map of the Holy Land (1858)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Map of the area of the Levant under Ottoman rule from 1858, including present-day Lebanon, Israel, Syria, Jordan, and Palestine. An enlargement of the Environs of Jerusalem, as well as a Plan of Jerusalem are shown as insets on the right. These show important ancient and biblical sites such as the Dome of the Rock, Mosque el-Aksa, David's Tomb, Church of the Sepulchre, Via Dolorosa and the ""Jew's wailing place," as well as the four quarters of Jerusalem--Jewish, Christian, Armenian and Mohammedan. A cross section of altitude spans the right side as well as two of the upper sheets to the left. The legend indicates areas under the government of Beirut and Damascus, and the locations of towns, villages, convents, castles, ruins, roads, mills, tombs, reservoirs, and streams.
Charles William Meredith van de Welde (1818-1898) was a Dutch cartographer and lieutenant-at-sea second class in the Dutch navy. After graduating from the Dutch Naval Academy at Medemblik, he spent time at the topography office in Batavia, Dutch East Indies(present-day Jakarta, Indonesia), ultimately rising to director. He journeyed through Syria and Palestine from 1851 to 1852, and published a narrative of the sojourn in 1854. Presumably he used his travels as well as those of other early explorers, such as Jacob Burckhardt and Lt. Symonds, referenced in the map to produce this map of the ""Holy Land."
- Velde, Charles William Meredith van de, 1818-1898
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
Castles & palaces
Tombs & sepulchral monuments
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Velde, Charles William Meredith van de, 1818-1898. Map of the Holy Land (1858). 1858. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8918. (Accessed October 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Velde, Charles William Meredith van de, 1818-1898, (1858) Map of the Holy Land (1858). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8918
- MLA citation style
- Velde, Charles William Meredith van de, 1818-1898. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8918>.