1940 Officers installed at Elks’ new $14,000 quarters, from the Nashville Times, 1940
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A captioned photo from the Nashville Times (1940), about the new Elks new dining facility. The caption reads: “Over 200 Elks were present at a dinner session held at the order’s new $15,000 Teak Room and Dining Room on Sixth Avenue, North, last night. New officers installed and outgoing and past officers were, above, left to right, front row, Charles H. Potter, exalted ruler; William P. Smith, leading knight; Harry Hite, loyal knight; “Uncle Andy” A. J. Sona, tiler (43 years); John J. Brady, outgoing exalted ruler; W. Hal Mustaine and Dr. J. W. Fenn, past exalted rulers; back row, J. Pink Lawrence, C. H. Smith and Jake M. Petway, past exalted rulers; Dr. T. W. Menees, trustee; William A. Roache, trustee and past exalted ruler; Herman Millerlee, lecturing knight; D. D. Canfield, board of trustees chairman; H. L. Dahlman, secretary; George Snyder, past exalted ruler; William L. Scheffer, treasurer, and Jack Price Jones, past exalted ruler.” The Elks Lodge no. 72 was located at 310 6th Avenue North, bordered by Deaderick Street, in downtown Nashville, Tennessee. The lodge was home to the Elks, beginning in 1904, serving numerous community functions and charity projects for the next several decades. The exact date of the construction of the Elks Lodge is unknown although it appears as a dwelling on the 1888 fire insurance maps. The building housed the lodge offices, a library, and entertainment facilities. It was razed in the 1970s to make way for the James K. Polk State Office Building and the Tennessee Performing Arts Center. Forms part of the Nashville Times newspaper collection. 1 digital photo.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Elks (Fraternal order)--Charities
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social life and customs
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
Sixth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imageText
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact: Metro Nashville Archives, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- 1940 Officers installed at Elks’ new $14,000 quarters, from the Nashville Times, 1940. 1940. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/4265. (Accessed January 21, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (1940) 1940 Officers installed at Elks’ new $14,000 quarters, from the Nashville Times, 1940. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/4265
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/4265>.