Stones River Battlefield topographical map
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- after 1865
After-the-fact, hand-drawn map of the Battle of Stones River (Dec. 30, 1862-Jan. 2, 1863) displays the positions of Federal and Confederate divisions and the names of their commanders. The map also features the locations of wooded areas, landowners, commander's headquarters, rivers, roads, and railroads, and the layout of Murfreesboro. Probably done in preparation for the dedication of a national military cemetery or military park.
The map was produced by U. S. topographical engineers who produced several other maps of the Battle of Stones River under the direction of Nathaniel Michler, who headed the Topographical Department in the Army of the Potomac. The name "L. M. Radford, surveyor, National Cemetery" also appears on the map. Faded writing on the back suggests it was presented to the Tennessee Historical Society but provides no date.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Stones River, Battle of, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 1862-1863
Michler, N. (Nathaniel), 1827-1881
- Murfreesboro (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Stones River Battlefield topographical map. after 1865. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/105. (Accessed October 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (after 1865) Stones River Battlefield topographical map. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/105
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/105>.