Tennessee State Fair Association, Nashville, 1907
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of the Tennessee State Fairgrounds located just one mile south of downtown Nashville. The fairgrounds opened in 1891 as Cumberland Park. The park was built as a harness racing track with a grandstand that seated 7,000 people. In 1904 the harness racing track hosted its first automobile race. Then in 1906 the first Tennessee State Fair was held. Over the years the fairgrounds has been host to nighttime airplane rides, a swimming pool, an amusement park, and stock car races, among other things. In 1965 a fire at the fairgrounds destroyed several buildings (including the Women's Building pictured here), the grandstands and numerous restaurants. Today the fairgrounds are used for various conferences, expos, and trade shows, along with the annual Tennessee State Fair. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Tennessee State Fairgrounds (Nashville, Tenn.)
Sports & Recreation
Racetracks (Automobile racing)--Tennessee--Nashville
Sports & recreation facilities--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville, Tenn.--Social life and customs
Nashville (Tenn.)--Recreational activities
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Tennessee State Fair Association, Nashville, 1907. 1907. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/760. (Accessed September 23, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (1907) Tennessee State Fair Association, Nashville, 1907. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/760
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/760>.