Map of British governments in North America (1763)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Published in London in 1763, this map interprets the landscape of the North American colonies following Great Britain's victory over France in the Seven Year's War. Specifically, it shows the line laid down on the crest of the Appalachian Mountains by the Proclamation of 1763, beyond which American colonists' westward encroachment onto Native American lands was prohibited. The British Crown's limit on westward expansion in favor of "Lands Reserved for the Indians" was one of the American colonists' chief complaints leading to the Revolution.
The Royal Proclamation of 1763 was issued by King George III, following the conclusion of the French and Indian War (Seven Years' War). As a result of their defeat in the war, France ceded much of its North American territory to Great Britain. The proclamation outlined the management of the newly acquired French colonies as well as regulated colonial expansion west of the Appalachian Mountains.
- Gibson, J. (John), active 1750-1792
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- United States--History--French and Indian War, 1754-1763--Battlefields
Great Britain--Colonies--America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Gibson, J. (John), active 1750-1792. Map of British governments in North America (1763). 1763. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/377. (Accessed November 16, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Gibson, J. (John), active 1750-1792, (1763) Map of British governments in North America (1763). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/377
- MLA citation style
- Gibson, J. (John), active 1750-1792. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/377>.