West End United Methodist Church, 2001 October
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of West End United Methodist Church located at 2200 West End Avenue in the West End neighborhood of Nashville, Tennessee. This church was the third building for the congregation that organized in 1869. Donald W. Southgate was the architect for the project. Originally slated to start construction in 1929, building plans had to be delayed due to the Great Depression. The congregation held services in Vanderbilt facilities for ten years while they raised money for the project. Construction on the sanctuary finally began in 1937 and the first services were held in the new building in 1940. The architecture is neo-Gothic in style. The foundation is made of semi-smooth stone blocks. The exterior walls are made of semi-smooth stone blocks. The roof is a combination of gabled and flat with tar shingles. Some doors are wood, while others are metal. Special features include a memorial cloister dedicated to church members who served in either of the World Wars and stained glass windows. The cloister serves as a passageway connecting the chapel with the church auditorium. The ceilings in the cloister are vaulted stone, and there are five bays. The stained glass art windows in the sanctuary are the work of the D'Ascenzo Studios in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This group of distinguished glass artists has work in a number of churches and other buildings throughout the United States, including Riverside Church in New York City, the National Cathedral and Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., and buildings at Yale and Princeton Universities. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- West End United Methodist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Methodist church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
West End Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Hillsboro-West End (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. West End United Methodist Church, 2001 October. 2001-10. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1563. (Accessed January 19, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2001-10) West End United Methodist Church, 2001 October. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1563
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1563>.