Map of Lewis County showing iron ore mines, prospects, and banks (1915)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This very detailed map presents, in addition to roads, streams, communities, house structures and hollows, the iron ore industry in Lewis County (Tenn." It details the locations of iron ore mines, partly prospected banks, and surface indications of ores in the county. Positions of trails, roads, railroads, rivers, streams, brooks, and creeks are included. Latitudinal and longitudinal lines are indicated.The data for this map were taken from a Tennessee Geological Survey.
Iron ore has been one of Tennessee's most important natural resources since the 1790's. Tennessee was ranked third nationally in iron bloomery production in 1860, with Lewis County being amongst the leaders in the state. As the easily accessible deposits were gone by the early 19th century, iron mining and production in Tennessee ebbed. By 1992, Tennessee was 31st in the nation in mining by value, however, iron ore was not among the state's most valuable minerals.
- Rogers, Reese F
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Lewis County (Tenn.) Iron ore--Tennessee
Mines and mineral resources
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Rogers, Reese F. Map of Lewis County showing iron ore mines, prospects, and banks (1915). 1915. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/391. (Accessed November 15, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Rogers, Reese F, (1915) Map of Lewis County showing iron ore mines, prospects, and banks (1915). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/391
- MLA citation style
- Rogers, Reese F. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/391>.