A general map of the new settlement of Transilvania, November 1776 (1930 drawing)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A map of North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee showing the area of Kentucky known as Transylvania. The map has a detailed view of rivers, towns, Cherokee, Creek, and Chickasaw villages, and forts. It specifically indicates salt and coal deposits, elephant bones, roads, the Watauga Settlements [Wotauga], Ft. Loudon, and the separate Overhill, Middle, and Lower Cherokee towns.
The Transylvania Purchase was a private venture by Richard Henderson and the Transylvania Company to obtain 20 million acres of land in present-day Kentucky and Tennessee in order to establish a 14th colony. Henderson negotiated this agreement with the Cherokee on March 14, 1775, and he, along with other settlers, drew up the Transylvania Compact, framing the fledgling government. However, his plan was thwarted when Virginia annexed the land and voided the agreement. Henderson was allowed to retain rights to 12 square miles (about 7700 acres), and thereafter attempted to settle the Tennessee portion at Nashborough.
- Wilson, Samuel M
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Transylvania Colony--Maps
Forts & fortifications
- Kentucky; Virginia; Tennessee
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Chicago citation style
- Wilson, Samuel M. A general map of the new settlement of Transilvania, November 1776 (1930 drawing). 1930. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9098. (Accessed April 1, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Wilson, Samuel M, (1930) A general map of the new settlement of Transilvania, November 1776 (1930 drawing). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9098
- MLA citation style
- Wilson, Samuel M. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9098>.