Nouveau plan de Paris fortifié (1855)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Detailed map in French depicting the old city of Paris in 1855--essentially still a medieval city on the brink of Baron Haussmann's wholesale renovation. It shows streets, buildings, railroads, landmarks, neighborhoods, the Seine River, arrondissements, and the fortifications--star forts and walls--that still surrounded the city but were shortly to disappear. A street index is located to the left of the map with a "table of names omitted in the nomenclature." To the right is a building index including governmental departments, libraries, theaters, and passages.
Haussmann's 1853-1870 renovation of Paris was a vast public works program commissioned by Emperor Napoléon III and directed by his prefect of the Seine, Georges-Eugène Haussmann. It included the demolition of crowded mazes of medieval neighborhoods, the building of wide avenues ("boulevards") as spokes with parks and squares at their hubs, the annexation of the suburbs surrounding Paris, and the construction of new sewers, fountains and aqueducts. The modern street plan and distinctive appearance of the center of Paris today is largely the result of Haussmann's renovation.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Nouveau plan de Paris fortifié (1855). 1855. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9089. (Accessed January 18, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- (1855) Nouveau plan de Paris fortifié (1855). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9089
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9089>.