Verdun apres le bombardement, Paris, France, 1919
- View Full Item
- Created Date
An original booklet of 20 postcards showing Verdun after the WWI bombing. Titled “Verdun,” this booklet was published in Paris, Franace, with English and French captions. The Battle of Verdun was fought from 21 February – 18 December 1916 during the First World War on the Western Front between the German and French armies, on hills north of Verdun-sur-Meuse in north-eastern France. The postcards featured postcards are: 1. Verdun. Panorama view of the theatres quarter; 2. Verdun. Banks of the Meuse after the bombardment; 3. Verdun. The gate a the Charvosie bridge; 4. Verdun. The part of the town seen from St-Saviours church; 5. Verdun. The Cathedral and the Bishops Palace; 6. Verdun. The theatre quarters; 7. Verdun. The part of the town seen from the Place de la Madeleine; 8. Rue Neuve and houses bombarded on the banks of the Meuse; 9. Verdun. View taken from the bridge; 10. Verdun. View on the Meuse; 11. Verdun. Houses destroyed on the banks of the Meuse; 12. Verdun. The quarter Chevert bombarded by the Germans; 13. Verdun. The Place d'Armes after the bombardment; 14. Verdun. Baurepaire street bombarded by the Germans; Verdun. St-Esprit street after the bombardment; 15. Verdun. Mazel street and St-Pierre street bombarded; 16. Verdun. Chatel street bombarded; 17. Verdun. Mazel street after the German bombardment; 18. Verdun. The station after the bombardment; 19. Verdun. Ruins in the Cathedral quarter. World War I, also known as the First World War or the Great War, was a global war centered in Europe that began on 28 July 1914 and lasted until 11 November 1918. Forms part of the Clarence L. Alford Collection, Box 6: Post Card Books. 1 postcard booklet.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- World War, 1914-1918--Pictorial works
World War, 1914-1918--History--Sources
World War, 1914-1918--France
World War, 1914-1918--Air operations--German--France
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
- Still imageTextPostcards
- English, French
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact: Metro Nashville Archives, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- Verdun apres le bombardement, Paris, France, 1919. 1919. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7396. (Accessed April 9, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (1919) Verdun apres le bombardement, Paris, France, 1919. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7396
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7396>.