Major Francis Mohrhardt's maps (and diary) of the Tullahoma Campaign (1863)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Field notes and hand-drawn pencil maps of Francis Mohrhardt, a Union major and topographical engineer in Gen. William Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland, attached to the staff of Gen. Philip Sheridan, include numerous pencil-drawn maps of this army's 1863 summer campaign from Murfreesboro to Chattanooga, Tenn., otherwise known as the Tullahoma Campaign. A large series of 30+ maps, which show in detail the road taken by the army from its encampment near Murfreesboro to its crossing of the Tennessee River near Bridgeport, Alabama and its eventual arrival in Chattanooga. Different plates depict the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad line, bridges and ferries, forts and breastworks, homes and structures along the road, Tullahoma, the University at Sewanee, Cowan Station, distances between towns, and topographical features. Notes and the maps are presented in original order, which in general are reverse order from Alabama northward.
Major Francis Mohrhardt was a Union topographical engineer attached to Gen. Philip Sheridan's brigade of Rosecrans' Army of the Cumberland following the Battle of Stones River. His manuscript field notes, drawings and detailed maps of the 1863 Tullahoma Campaign are part of the Federal Collection of TSLA's Civil War Collection."
- Mohrhardt, Francis
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Tennessee; Alabama
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Mohrhardt, Francis. Major Francis Mohrhardt's maps (and diary) of the Tullahoma Campaign (1863). 1862-1865. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/317. (Accessed April 13, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- Mohrhardt, Francis, (1862-1865) Major Francis Mohrhardt's maps (and diary) of the Tullahoma Campaign (1863). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/317
- MLA citation style
- Mohrhardt, Francis. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/317>.