President Franklin D. Roosevelt in Nashville for funeral of Joseph W. Byrns, 1936 June
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Pictured: Political dignitaries and other attendees, at War Memorial Plaza in Nashville, Tennessee, for the funeral service of Congressman Joseph Wellington. Bryns (July 20, 1869-June 4, 1936) was a U.S. politician, born in Cedar Hill, Robertson County. He displayed a strong early interest in politics and served in state government. Bryns graduated from Nashville High School in 1887 and from the law department of Vanderbilt University in 1890. In 1900 he was elected to the Tennessee State Senate. In 1908, Bryns was elected to the U. S. House of Representatives from Tennessee’s 5th and 6ths districts. He was in office from 1909 until his death in 1936. Byrns was the 46th Speaker of the United States House of Representatives (January 3, 1935-June 4, 1936) and prior to that was the 8th Majority Leader of the United States House of Representatives (1933-1935). Byrns was very loyal to the New Deal, especially as it related to Agriculture. Upon his death in Washington, D.C., a funeral service was held in the United States Capitol, attended by President Roosevelt and other dignitaries and later services were held in Nashville. Byrns was interred at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Nashville, Tennessee. Forms part of Record Group 412, Photographs Collection. 1 photograph negative : b & w ; 4 x 5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Byrns, Joseph Wellington, 1869-1936
Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
Funeral rites and ceremonies
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social life and customs
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
- Still imageNegatives
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Metro Archives, Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt in Nashville for funeral of Joseph W. Byrns, 1936 June. 1930/1939. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5027. (Accessed April 18, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- (1930/1939) President Franklin D. Roosevelt in Nashville for funeral of Joseph W. Byrns, 1936 June. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5027
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5027>.