Photograph of the circulation desk of the Nashville Public Library, circa 1955
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph showing the circulation desk and staff of the Nashville Public Library, assisting the community patrons, circa 1955. Originally established as the Carnegie Library of Nashville, the building was located at 8th Avenue North and Union Street in Nashville, Tennessee. Pictured in the photograph are Dr. Robert S. Alvarez, Director, Peggy Benson, Mary Stone, and Lillias Burns. The pubic library building was constructed with a $100,000 grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, and the cornerstone was laid on April 27, 1903. Officially opened to the public on September 19, 1904, the building was located at 8th Avenue North and Union Street. The Carnegie Library of Nashville was renamed the Nashville Public Library in 1934, being active at this location until 1963, when the new Metropolitan Government began construction on a new main library upon the site. Forms part of the Nashville Room Historic Photographs Collection. 1 photograph : b & w ; 8 x 10 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Stone, Mary
Alvarez, Robert S. (Robert Smyth), 1912-1997
Public Library of Nashville and Davidson County--History
Libraries and society--Tennessee--Nashville
Social & civic facilities--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Photograph of the circulation desk of the Nashville Public Library, circa 1955. 1955~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/512. (Accessed April 18, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- (1955~) Photograph of the circulation desk of the Nashville Public Library, circa 1955. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/512
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/512>.