Photograph of the American Baptist Theological Seminary, between 1925 and 1935
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- Between 1925 and 1935
A photograph of a group of men from American Baptist Theological Seminary. The American Baptist Theological Seminary was originally a training facility for African American Baptist ministers. The men in the photograph are standing in front of Griggs Hall, the first building erected on the campus. Griggs Hall was built at 1800 Whites Creek Pike in 1923. The building housed dormitory rooms, a dining hall, a library, and classrooms. The school opened on September 14, 1924. Its first curriculum contained both degree programs for high school graduates and a non-degree program for training those who had not completed high school. Its student body was highly influential during the civil rights movement. In 1971, the school became an accredited four-year undergraduate Bible college, and its official name was changed to American Baptist College. Forms part of the Nashville Room Historic Photographs Collection. 1 photograph : b & w ; 8 x 10 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- American Baptist Theological Seminary (Nashville, Tenn.)
American Baptist College (Nashville, Tenn.)
Griggs Hall (Nashville, Tenn.)
Colleges and Universities
Theology--Study and teaching--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Photograph of the American Baptist Theological Seminary, between 1925 and 1935. Between 1925 and 1935. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/317. (Accessed June 6, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (Between 1925 and 1935) Photograph of the American Baptist Theological Seminary, between 1925 and 1935. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/317
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/317>.