Map of East Tennessee, North of Loudon (1864)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This very fine Civil War map of East Tennessee was prepared by Union Army engineer and cartographer Orlando M. Poe. State geologist James M. Stafford drew on topographical details. This map shows forts, towns, post offices, topography, roads, railroads, valleys, rivers, creeks, islands, fords, ferries, elevations, iron furnaces, poor houses, mills and forges in the East Tennessee area. It carries the signature of W. L. B. Jenney, Captain, U.S.A.
Civil War cartographers were involved in reconnaissance, pre-battle, and post-battle mapping. Orlando Poe functioned as Chief Engineer of the XXIII Corps, and his work aided in the capture of Knoxville, Tennessee by Federal forces. After this action, he was selected by Major General W. T. Sherman as chief engineer for his Military Division of the Mississippi in the spring of 1864. Poe served Sherman during the burning of Atlanta, Sherman's March to the Sea, and the Carolinas Campaign.
- Poe, O. M. (Orlando Metcalfe), 1832-1895
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
United States. Army. Corps, 23rd (1863-1865)
Cities & towns
Forts & fortifications
Fords (Stream crossings)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Poe, O. M. (Orlando Metcalfe), 1832-1895. Map of East Tennessee, North of Loudon (1864). 1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/106. (Accessed April 7, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Poe, O. M. (Orlando Metcalfe), 1832-1895, (1864) Map of East Tennessee, North of Loudon (1864). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/106
- MLA citation style
- Poe, O. M. (Orlando Metcalfe), 1832-1895. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/106>.