St. Bernard Convent, 2002 January
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of St. Bernard Convent and Academy, a private Catholic girls' school located on Hillsboro Road in the Green Hills neighborhood. The school was started by the Sisters of Mercy who came to Tennessee from Rhode Island to start in 1866 The school began in 1867 but the pictured building was built in 1905. Modern for its time the academy had steam heat, electric lights and telephones. In 1960 a new high school building for girls opened on Twenty-fourth Avenue South. The lower grades stayed at the Hillsboro location. In 1989 the high school shut down due to declining registration and the lower school moved into the more modern building on Twenty-fourth. In 1991 the nuns moved out into a new convent in Donelson. The original academy and convent is now used for offices. The foundation of the building is made of rough cut stone blocks with smooth cut capping stone. The exterior walls are red brick. The roof is gabled and hipped with dormer windows. The windows are framed in metal with clear glass panes. There are six large arched windows. The doors are made of metal with glass panes. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- St. Bernard Convent and Academy (Nashville, Tenn.)
St. Bernard Convent (Nashville, Tenn.)
St. Bernard Academy (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Hillsboro Road (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. St. Bernard Convent, 2002 January. 2002-01. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1403. (Accessed March 30, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2002-01) St. Bernard Convent, 2002 January. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1403
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1403>.