The Tower, Scarritt College, Nashville, Tennessee, between 1928 and 1947
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- between 1928 and 1947
A postcard of the Tower at the Scarritt Bennett College for Christian Workers in Nashville, Tennessee. The original conference, retreat and educational center was originally Scarritt Bible and Training School for young women missionaries in Kansas City, Missouri. It moved to Nashville in 1924 when it became Scarritt College for Christian Workers. Scarritt Hall, Bennett Hall, the Tower and the Chapel were built circa 1924-1927 and known collectively as the Belle Bennett Memorial. Dedicated on March 14, 1928, Scarritt College remains one of architect Henry C. Hibbs' signature designs in the collegiate gothic style. A year later, Hibbs won a gold medal for his ecclesiastical design at Scarritt. The buildings are made of crab orchard stone. The Tower is located at 1008 19th Avenue South and is affiliated with the Scarritt Bennett Center, organized in 1988 as a non-profit institution working to promote social justice. The campus rests on approximately 10 acres of manicured lawns and gardens. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Artvue Postcard Co. (Publisher)
- Scarritt College for Christian Workers
Colleges and Universities
Historic buildings--Tennessee-- Nashville
Universities and colleges
Nineteenth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- The Tower, Scarritt College, Nashville, Tennessee, between 1928 and 1947. between 1928 and 1947. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2296. (Accessed June 4, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (between 1928 and 1947) The Tower, Scarritt College, Nashville, Tennessee, between 1928 and 1947. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2296
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2296>.